An American pedophile recently arrested in the Philippines was reportedly planning to re-enact scenes from the film “50 Shades of Grey” with young, poor, underaged Filipino girls, local authorities revealed.
Now 29, Smart, who is a married mother-of-two, recalled how she was repeatedly beaten and raped over a nine-month period and was forced to watch sexually explicit films.
In an interview with Crime Watch Daily she said: “For me, because I grew up in a very conservative Christian neighborhood, the first time I was raped I remember feeling devastated.”
“I felt like it would be better to be dead than to continue living being a rape victim, being a rape survivor. I felt in that moment if there had been an easy way out, I probably would have taken it.”
Smart’s horrific ordeal came to end when a biker alerted police after spotting Mitchell traveling with two people in Utah.
Speaking about her ordeal, she said: “One second I was being reunited with my parents, the next second I was being questioned. The next second they take me up to the hospital … then they’re like, ‘Oh, take off your clothes. Oh, let’s do this kit on you.'”
“Nobody was really telling me anything and I remember when they were doing the rape kit, I just remember thinking, ‘What’s going on?'”
Mitchell is serving a life sentence for the abuse.
His deranged wife Wanda Barzee, who helped her husband, was sentenced to 15 years for aggravated kidnapping.
The pair were both initially ruled unfit to go on trial because of their mental health.
At the time, Mitchell’s defense team argued he was not guilty by reason of insanity.
Last year, Smart said she believed porn fueled her attacker’s depraved treatment of her.
In a video released by anti-pornography group Fight The New Drug, she said: “All I know is that pornography made my living hell worse.”
“It just led to him raping me more, more than he already did, which was a lot.”
“Looking at pornography wasn’t enough for him.”
“Having sex with his wife after looking at pornography, it wasn’t enough for him.”
“And then it led him to finally going out and kidnapping me.”
“He just always wanted more.”
“I can’t say that he would not have gone out and kidnapped me had he not looked at pornography.”
SALT LAKE CITY (KSTU)-- Federal prosecutors have leveled charges against a Bountiful doctor accused of sexual abuse and a Lehi man accused of trading child pornography with him.
Dr. Nathan Ward, 55, was indicted on three separate charges of production, possession and distribution of child pornography. A federal grand jury also indicted Robert Edwin Francis, 41, accusing him of discussing "sexually abusing and sharing sexually explicit photos of children."
Images were also shared between email accounts linked to Dr. Ward and Francis, prosecutors confirmed to FOX 13.
Dr. Ward made an initial appearance in federal court last week as the indictment was unsealed. Court records show he pleaded "not guilty" and was ordered to remain in jail without bail.
Dr. Ward's defense attorney, Ed Brass, declined to comment on the new charges when contacted by FOX 13 on Tuesday.
Francis also pleaded not guilty to charges, court records indicate.
The cases were discussed at a news conference by the U.S. Attorney's Office for Utah, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and the FBI. Federal authorities said they handle dozens of cases a year, but were concerned that Utahns were reluctant to talk about exploitation and Internet safety with their children.
"I worry in our community this is such an ugly topic we pretend it’s not there. Well, it is, and our children are the targets of pedophiles and perpetrators," said U.S. Attorney for Utah John Huber.
Children are often contacted in social media apps or in online chats and duped into sending explicit pictures of themselves.
"Kids with smartphones who believe they are talking and chatting with somebody else who is 12 years old and 14 years old and that person asks them to send a picture of a sex act and their body and they do it. That’s the first mistake," said Steve Cagen with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Those images are then shared and re-shared amongst people "like baseball cards." There is no one typical predator, authorities said.
"We have arrested millionaire businessmen and we have arrested the unemployed. Teachers, doctors, public safety officials, day care owners, camp counselors. What they all have in common is this same heinous crime," said Eric Barnhart, the Resident Agent-in-Charge of the Salt Lake City field office of the FBI.
Huber said parents have a right to know what apps their children are using, their passwords and who they are talking to online.
"That seems a stretch to say my 12 year-old has a privacy right against me as a parent to protect their privacy," he said. "No. Parents need to assert their role and protect their child."
A 34 year-old man from Corby has been jailed at Northampton Crown Court for arranging to sexually abuse a child and possessing indecent images of children.
Richard Cheatley, 34, from Viking Way, was sentenced to four years and two months and placed on the Sex Offender Register for life.
Cheatley was first arrested in June this year when officers acting on intelligence received carried out a warrant at his address. He was found to be in possession of indecent images of children, including category A images, deemed the most severe.
He was released pending further investigation, butjust two days later he was online again, this time arranging to meet an 11 ear-old girl, intending to rape her.
On July 8, Cheatley travelled to Leicestershire with the clear intention of meeting a child in order to sexually abuse her. Fortunately he was intercepted by specially trained officers and arrested for arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence and was remanded into custody.
Further investigation led to the discovery of further indecent images of children on Cheadle’s devices.
PC Chris Barker-Bowles, who led the investigation, said:
“Cheatley is a dangerous and predatory paedophile who clearly intended to rape an 11 year-old child. I am very pleased this despicable man is now behind bars.
Child safeguarding is a priority for Northamptonshire Police. We work tirelessly to pursue offenders, bring them to justice and protect children from harm.
Anybody with any concerns about the safety of a child or with information about people viewing and sharing indecent images of children to report it immediately by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency
BIRMINGHAM — A federal judge sentenced a Cullman man to 90 years in prison followed by 10 years of supervised release for producing child pornography involving seven minor victims.
U.S. District Judge Virginia Emerson Hopkins sentenced Gregory Jerome Lee, 54, on four counts of production of child pornography. He pleaded guilty to the charges in January. Lee’s 90-year sentence will run consecutively to a 25-year sentence he received on a separate state prosecution for molesting two other victims.
Acting Assistant Attorney General Kenneth A. Blanco of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town announced the sentencing.
According to court documents, beginning in September 1996 and continuing for more than a decade until August 2007, Lee and his co-conspirators belonged to a group of sophisticated offenders who gathered in secret password-protected chat rooms to discuss their sexual interest in minors and the real-life sexual abuse of children being perpetrated by several group members.
Lee and others also used these chat rooms to advertise, distribute, receive and possess child pornography. Court documents state that from September 1996 through December 2004, Lee sexually abused at least seven different minors and that he frequently produced images and videos depicting his sexual exploitation of these children, which he shared with his co-conspirators.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Daniel Fortune and Trial Attorney Ralph Paradiso of the Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division prosecuted the case.
The case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse, launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice.
Led by U.S. Attorneys’ offices and CEOS, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.
A Canberra man who planned to sexually abuse children overseas when he was caught by an undercover cop, who posed as an English mother pimping out her three children online, told police he'd spoken of molesting them "purely as a fantasy".
Federal police arrested Nathan Sertori, 36, at Sydney Airport and stopped him boarding an international flight after a tip-off from INTERPOL sparked an investigation from Australian child protection officers in June 2016.
The case is believed to be the first time the Commonwealth offence of planning to abuse a child overseas has been prosecuted in the ACT.
Court documents said Sertori had online conversations, which began on an incest website, with an undercover British police officer posing as "Sadie" about plans to meet in London and sexually abuse the woman's three children in late July.
In a series of explicit exchanges, he spoke of plans to have sex with the woman and abuse her two daughters, aged 12 and 14, and her son, aged 10.
"The accused had a particular interest in Sadie's daughters," the documents said.
Police who investigated the man's online profile, under the username of "Dtyungman", discovered he also belonged to teen sex and child rape online discussion boards.
An IP address was used to track the online profile to Sertori's family home in Holt. Police matched his online profile description with images on social media and his passport photograph.
He was arrested after Australian Border Force officials alerted police Sertori had flown out of Canberra and was booked on a flight with his mother from Sydney to Dubai on July 12.
In a police interview, Sertori admitted he'd contacted a woman online about engaging in sexual activities with her two daughters and said she'd offered her son for him to rape.
He said he knew the children were all younger than 18.
But he told police he asked the woman about having sex with her children "purely as a fantasy" and had no intention of meeting up with them in London. He said he also planned to travel to Paris and Copenhagen with his mother.
He'd asked for photos but planned to send them to police, court documents said. He was charged when the interview finished.
During a search of his home the next day, police seized his computer and electronic devices, child exploitation material from online chats, and a travel itinerary.
The court on Thursday heard the last online conversation of a sexual nature had been on June 24, nearly three weeks before Sertori's arrest.
Defence barrister Alyn Doig argued Sertori didn't necessarily intend to carry out his fantasy at the time he boarded the plane and "may well have come to his senses" by that time.
But federal prosectors, who called for an immediate term of imprisonment, said Sertori had given the undercover police officer a date and shared where he would be staying in London.
Mr Doig noted the child exploitation material had been written comments and didn't include images. He said the offender's trip with his mother had not been planned for the purpose of child sex abuse.
He said Sertori, who had been assessed as a low risk of general reoffending, had shown insight into his crimes and sought psychological help.
"He's well on his way to being as rehabilitated as he can be, given the circumstances."
Mr Doig urged the court to consider an intensive corrections order, which would allow Sertori to serve his sentence in the community.
Justice John Burns will hand down his sentence next Thursday.
A PERVERT who photographed himself sexually abusing a boy has been jailed for five and a half years.
Paul Malone, 63, sat in the dock at Bradford Crown Court with his head in his hands when he was brought from the cells to be sentenced.
Malone, of Lilythorne Avenue, Idle, Bradford, was arrested on June 15 when the police, acting on intelligence, searched his home and found hundreds of indecent photos, many at category A, the most serious examples of abuse.
Prosecutor Nick Askins said that Malone had taken a photo of himself sexually abusing a boy. Two other pictures showed the child’s exposed private parts with an adult hand holding down his clothing.
Also found at Malone’s address were 185 Category A indecent photos of children, 120 at Category B and 356 at Category C.
The images included 13 film clips.
Malone made no comment to the police but pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the boy, making three indecent photos of the child and three offences of possession of indecent photos of children.
The judge, Recorder Tahir Khan QC, agreed to the forfeiture of Malone’s phone and laptop computer.
He made a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told Malone to sign on the sex offender register.
Malone was locked up for four years for sexually abusing the boy and for 18 months, to run consecutively, for hoarding the indecent images of children.
Twenty-two-year-oldJesse Taggart entered a guilty plea last week to one count of lascivious acts with a child, a Class C felony. He had originally been charged with second degree sexual abuse, indecent exposure, and dissemination and exhibition of obscene material to a minor.
Prosecutors say in May, Taggart committed a sex act on a female victim under the age of 12, exposed himself, and showed her pornographic videos while at a residence in Perry.
Taggart is scheduled to be sentenced on October 27th. He is being held in the Dallas County Jail.
SANTA CRUZ – A sex tape with 3-year-old and 10-year-old boys, and a 5-year-old girl, generated 32 additional molestation charges for a Santa Cruz brain surgeon, Watsonville nurse and Tucson, Arizona, mother suspected of a national sex ring seeking taboo families, according to court documents and a bail hearing.
Court documents list five children — two boys, two girls and “Child Doe,” whose gender is not listed — who were victimized on camera and cell phone video.
Dr. James Kohut, 57, is accused of luring women from California, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Vermont and Australia with intentions to molest their children in Santa Cruz County and the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, according to court documents. He also is accused of molesting the families of his conspirators, Emily Stephens, 30, of Tucson, and Rashel Brandon, 43, of Watsonville.
Superior Court Judge John Salazar increased each defendant’s bail to $15 million during the arraignments. Kohut, who was shaven, looked down and sat with his hands crossed in his lap, occasionally watching the team of bailiffs preparing the hearing. Kohut observed from the corner of a jury box in a courtroom at the Santa Cruz County Jail. It was the first hearing in the case at that venue. When Brandon was escorted into the guarded space, she sighed, smirked and glanced at the gallery of only three benches.
The trio made no eye contact during the hearing. All pleaded not guilty to their charges.
The new evidence, a GoPro video filmed in Watsonville between Jan. 1 and May 9, shows the defendants having sex multiple times with a 3-year-old and 10-year-old boy, according to court documents. Assistant District Attorney Steven Moore declined to say where in Watsonville the sex tape was filmed.
Kohut, who worked at Dominican Hospital and was fired from Palo Alto Medical Foundation, faces 48 felonies tied to molestation in 2003, 2014, 2016 and 2017, according to court documents. He previously faced 11 felonies.
Stephens faces 45 felonies and Brandon faces 44 felonies linked with molestation.
The case includes a video at a Scotts Valley motel between Jan. 1 and May 9 that depicts sodomy by the three defendants with the same 10-year-old boy in the Watsonville recording. That video is at least 54 minutes long, according to time stamps listed in the court documents.
A cell phone video recorded between Jan. 1 and May 9 shows the defendants copulating with the same 5-year-old girl. The location of that video is not listed in court documents.
Kohut is the only person accused of lewd acts and rape of the same 10-year-old boy in Tuolumne County between Jan. 1 and May 9.
Kohut is charged with lewd acts of a fourth victim, a girl who was younger than 14, from Jan. 1, 2003, and Dec. 31, 2005. No location is provided for that charge.
Kohut is also charged with attempted lewd acts on a child, a fifth victim, in 2014.
A record 1,142 child pornography cases were reported during the first half of 2017, up by 123 from the same period the previous year, the National Police Agency said Sept. 21.
More than 90 percent of the identified victims were in junior or senior high school, with about 50 percent of them in junior high school.
Almost all were female.
About 40 percent of the 594 children who were identified said they were asked to send naked selfie images. That number, 263, is an increase for the third consecutive year.
Around 85.9 percent of them sent the images to strangers. And 91.6 percent of these children said they became acquainted with the strangers on social networking services.
Out of the overall total of 1,142 cases, the highest number, 724, were recognized as “production” of images of naked children under the Law Banning Child Prostitution and Child Pornography, the NPA said. Almost half of these, or 316, involved children sending their own images.
In some cases, the images were spread online without the victims’ knowledge.
The NPA started logging statistics on child pornography in 2012.
The agency said it is warning the public to be aware of the dangers of communicating with strangers on the Internet.